My experience doing a Fedora 17 upgrade with yum: it worked fine
June 7, 2012
Despite the warnings on the yum upgrade web page, I just got through doing a yum upgrade from Fedora 16 to Fedora 17 on my office workstation. The short summary is that it went fine. I'd say that it went without problems, but that's not quite true; it went with no more problems than usual for my office workstation. In specific, the directions for using a dracut reboot to execute the /usr merge worked flawlessly.
(Note that I had already transitioned to having a single system
filesystem. Your mileage may be quite
different if you still have a separate
The one non-standard thing that I did for this upgrade is that I started
out by downloading all of the packages for Fedora 17 even before I
had done the
While file conflicts aren't checked until
the actual package installs start, yum will find most of the package
dependency and compatibility problems from just downloading everything
(well, technically from the dependency solving it has to do in order
to know what to download). As usual for my yum upgrades, there were
a number of Fedora 16 packages that I wound up having to remove in
order to make
(People with straightforward Fedora 16 installs will probably not have this problem, but my office workstation has a lot of packages installed and in general is the accreted product of almost six years of upgrading from Fedora version to Fedora version instead of reinstalling from scratch.)
As usual I still need to do various cleanup steps, like sweeping
my system for
(Apart from that Fedora 17 doesn't seem to be particularly different than Fedora 16, but that's really what I expect from running a custom environment. People who use Gnome or KDE may see more of a change.)
PS: my usual brute force approach for adding all of the RPMs that a
standard Fedora install has is to just do a standard install in a
virtual machine, copy the package list across, and install anything
that's missing on my workstation. In theory one can fiddle around with
Sidebar: minor problems that I ran into
In addition to package issues:
As usual, the actual yum upgrade process took something like four to five hours. I doubt a DVD-based or a preupgrade-based upgrade would have been any faster, which makes me quite happy that I was able to keep using my workstation throughout the whole process.
Written on 07 June 2012.
* * *
Atom feeds are available; see the bottom of most pages.