A problem with
gnome-terminal in Fedora 21, and tracking it down
Today I discovered that Fedora 21 subtly broke some part of my environment
to the extent that
gnome-terminal refuses to start. More than that, it
refuses to start with a completely obscure error message:
; gnome-terminal Error constructing proxy for org.gnome.Terminal:/org/gnome/Terminal/Factory0: Error calling StartServiceByName for org.gnome.Terminal: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process org.gnome.Terminal exited with status 8
If you're here searching for the cause of this error message, let
me translate it: what it really means is that your session's
dbus-daemon could not start
when gnome-terminal asked it to. In many cases, it may be because
your system's environment has not initialized
$LANG to some UTF-8 locale at the time that your session was
being set up (even if one of these environment variables gets set
later, by the time you're running gnome-terminal). In the modern
world, increasing amount of Gnome bits absolutely insist on being
in a UTF-8 locale and fail hard if they aren't.
Some of you may be going 'what?' here. What you suspect is correct; the modern Gnome 3 'gnome-terminal' program is basically a cover script rather than an actual terminal emulator. Instead of opening up a terminal window itself, it exists to talk over DBus to a master gnome-terminal-server process (which will theoretically get started on demand). It is the g-t-s process that is the actual terminal emulator, creates the windows, starts the shells, and all. And yes, one process handles all of your gnome-terminal windows; if that process ever hits a bug (perhaps because of something happening in one window) and dies, all of them die. Let's hope g-t-s doesn't have any serious bugs.
To find the cause of this issue, well, if I'm being honest a bunch of
this was found with an Internet search of the error message. This didn't
turn up my exact problem but it did turn up people reporting locale
problems and also a mention of
gnome-terminal-server, which I hadn't
known about before. For actual testing and verification I did several
- first I used
gnome-terminalitself, which told me nothing useful.
- I discovered that starting
gnome-terminal-serverby hand before running
gnome-terminalmade everything work.
- I used
dbus-monitor --sessionto watch DBus messages when I tried to start
gnome-terminal. This didn't really tell me anything that I couldn't have seen from the error message, but it did verify that there was really a DBus message being sent.
- I found the
dbus-daemonprocess that was handling my session DBus and used '
strace -f -p ...' on it while I ran
gnome-terminal. This eventually wound up with it starting
gnome-terminal-serverand g-t-s exiting after writing a message to standard error. Unfortunately the default
stracesettings truncated the message, so I reran
stracewhile adding '
-e write=2' to completely dump all messages to standard error. This got me the helpful error message from g-t-s:
Non UTF-8 locale (ANSI_X3.4-1968) is not supported!
(If you're wondering if
dbus-daemonsends standard error from either itself or processes that it starts to somewhere useful, ha ha no, sorry, we're all out of luck. As far as I can tell it specifically sends standard error to
- I dumped the environment of the
dbus-daemonprocess with '
tr '\0' '\n' </proc/<PID>/environ | less' and inspected what environment variables it had set. This showed that it had been started without my usual
With this in hand I could manually reproduce the problem by trying
to start gnome-terminal-server with
$LC_CTYPE unset, and then I
could fix up my X startup scripts to
$LC_CTYPE before they ran
(This entry is already long enough so I am going to skip my usual rant
about Gnome and especially Gnome 3 making problems like this very
difficult for even experienced system administrators to debug because
there are now so many opaque moving parts to even running Gnome programs
standalone, much less in a full Gnome environment. How is anyone normal
supposed to debug this when
gnome-terminal can't even be bothered to
give you a useful error summary in addition to the detailed error report
Comments on this page:Written on 23 January 2015.