A piece of email malware that wanted to make sure we rejected it
Recently our system for logging email attachment type information recorded an interesting attachment:
attachment application/octet-stream; MIME file ext: .ace; zip exts: .exe
The .ace extension is for an old archive file format and today is mostly used by malware, possibly because tools to look inside ACE archives are less common for reasons you can read about on the Wikipedia page (see eg here). We see a certain amount of .ace attachments all of the time, and we've been rejecting them all for some time. However, this attachment is not actually an ACE archive; instead it's a ZIP archive with a single .exe inside it. Single .exes inside ZIP archives are also a pattern we see frequently and we've been rejecting them for even longer than we've been rejecting .ace attachments.
(We knew it was a ZIP archive because it had the right magic signature to be one; we look at basically everything just to see, because ZIP archives can be hiding out under all sorts of extensions. Real ACE archives don't get detected as ZIP archives, especially ones that we can analyze.)
The net result is that regardless of how we interpreted this attachment, we were going to reject it (and we did). I've got to be amused by a spammer who gives us multiple reasons to reject their work, not just a single one.
My obvious theory for what happened here is that the malware spammer got some spam campaigns and processes confused, effectively crossing the wires between an ACE-based campaign and a ZIP-based one. Maybe they run the same campaign with both archive formats to cover all the bases, or maybe they have different campaigns going on at once. Or maybe this is the fault of some spam infrastructure provider. Whatever the cause is, it amuses me.
PS: This turns out to not be the only case of this we've seen in the past year or so. Some of the old ones even had the MIME type of application/zip, so something in the sending infrastructure clearly knew they actually were ZIP archives.
Sidebar: Some details on the message, with an interesting DKIM failure
The message has the usual sort of sender and subject, and a MIME filename of 'Payment Slip.ace'. These days, fake invoices seem to be the going thing. The sending IP is a Digital Ocean server. The message had a DKIM signature but the signature failed validation for the interesting reason of 'invalid - syntax error in public key record'.
You see, the domain the spammers picked to forge is a parked domain, and it has a wildcard TXT record of 'v=spf1 a -all' (with a five minute TTL, which is polite of the domain parker). Wildcard 'nothing is an acceptable sending source' SPF records are not valid DKIM records, but then this domain clearly isn't supposed to generate any email to start with. The domain parker could have been even more thorough by also providing a null MX record, but I'll give them points for trying at least the SPF record.
The malware adding a DKIM signature that could not possibly validate is an interesting touch. Perhaps this is the inevitable end result of Bayesian filtering being applied to spam and then spammers figuring out what people's Bayesian filters are really basing their decisions on.