Some malware apparently believes in covering its bases
Today our system for logging email attachment type information caught something interesting. Here's the important log messages:
<MSGID> attachment application/rtf; MIME file ext: .rtf <MSGID> attachment application/zip; MIME file ext: .zip; zip exts: .pdf .rtf .xlsx rejected <MSGID> from email@example.com to <redacted>: identified virus: CXmail/Rtf-E, Exp/20180802-B
Exp/20180802-B is apparently an OLE2 based exploit using CVE-2017-11882, which appears to often be RTF-based (cf). This opens up the interesting and amusing possibility that both attachments are RTF based attacks (with the .pdf and .xlsx included in the .zip as either cover or supporting elements), and perhaps that they're the same RTF file. At the very least, this malware seems to believe in covering its bases; maybe you'll open a direct RTF attachment, or maybe you'll unzip the ZIP archive and use something in that.
We actually got several copies of this to various different local addresses, all apparently coming directly from this IP address (ie with no additional Received: headers) and all with the same 'Subject: Payment Advice'. The IP address in question isn't currently in the CBL or in Spamhaus ZEN, although it is in b.barracudacentral.org.
In a further interesting development, looking at our logs in more detail showed that there's actually a second run from the same IP an hour or so earlier, with a HELO of '163.com', a MAIL FROM of 'firstname.lastname@example.org', and a Subject of 'Purchase Inquiry RG LLC'. This run was detected as the same two types of malware, but it has a different mix of attachment types:
attachment application/pdf; MIME file ext: .pdf attachment application/octet-stream; MIME file ext: .xlsx; zip exts: .bin .png .rels .vml .xml none
This may mean that the first attachment is basically a cover letter and it's the second attachment where all the malware lurks.
Sidebar: More spammers covering their bases
In the past nine days or so, we've also seen:
attachment application/msword; MIME file ext: .doc; zip exts: .rels .xml none attachment application/vnd.ms-excel; MIME file ext: .xls; zip exts: .rels .xml none rejected [...] identified virus: CXmail/OleDl-AD, CXmail/OleDl-AQ
(with the Subject of 'Re: August PO #20180911000'.)
The idea of putting together two different OLE-based attacks in two different documents amuses me. It's kind of brute force, and also optimistic (since you're hoping that neither is recognized and thus blocks your email).
attachment application/msword; MIME file ext: .doc attachment application/pdf; MIME file ext: .pdf rejected [...] identified virus: CXmail/RTF-F, Troj/20170199-P
And then there's what is probably a case of 'let's throw two phish attempts into one email':
attachment text/html; MIME file ext: .html attachment text/html; MIME file ext: .html rejected [...] identified virus: Troj/Phish-CZV, Troj/Phish-DAG
As I discovered once we started logging attachment types, our commercial anti-spam system identifying something as having phish 'malware' probably means it's in the attachments. This one had a Subject of 'Details Attached'. I bet they were.